Sunday, March 4, 2012

DRJ#4: Hamlet Act IV


Initial Reaction:  I feel pretty bad for Laertes.  First his dad killed then his sister.  I can see why some people think that Gertrude killed Ophelia though.  Still more build-up in this act, I’m ready for this thing to be done with.
Character Analysis:  Laertes is a nice parallel to Hamlet, but contrasts in his drive for revenge.  Laertes actually seems like he’s going to do something.  Plans have been made, it’s going to happen.  Hamlet is just now ready to maybe kill Claudius if the moment is right.  I see in Laertes what I want to see in Hamlet.
Theme Analysis:  I’m really having a tough time with the theme here.  I think that Shakespeare is showing us that revenge can be a bitch.  He is about to anyway.  With Claudius’ and Laertes’ double plan to kill Hamlet it seems like a sure thing.  Here is a quote, “Revenge should have no bounds.”  One thing we do know for sure is that this unit is soon to be over and I can come up for air again.

1 comment:

  1. Thats true Laertes is more of an action person, the only thing that I like better about Hamlet is that he is plotting everything alone, and hes not doing what he is told to do. He makes his own choices whereas Laertes doesnt. The sad part about it is that Hamlet doesnt go through with what he decided to do.

    ReplyDelete